Sunday, March 15, 2009

Never make eye contact with a Kolkata Street dog

Never make eye contact with a street dog in kolkata. Not because they will attack you but because they will think you actually care for them and follow you where ever you go. I have a standard practice of petting while not actually petting the dogs here. I just make stupid human noises that sound kind, while moving my hand 6 inches above the dog. They act like i am actually petting them. They wiggle and wag all over. I do not have much compassion for the dogs...too much human suffering always out weighs their plight. Sometimes i wonder how it is that they can appear so content with so little, they eat trash, they get stoned and run over, yet that does not stop them from lying in the street, taking long naps, playing with each other and looking for eye contact from humans. They are eternally hopeful and amazing survivors. I try not to resent their contented behavior, i mean seriously, they eat trash, but sometimes after a long day I wonder how it is that they can be content with so little and I who have so much still am not content most of the time. I am embarrassed to have written this blog about the dogs...but apparently even they have something to teach me in Kolkata.

3 comments:

Um Dayo said...

This made me smile.

andrew j. ulasich said...

i love the post about dogs. especially the part about petting but not really petting. see you soon!

steph said...

i need to learn your appreciation for street dogs. i have none whatsoever for the dogs in freetown. i am that person who pretends to pick up a rock just to make the dog run in the other direction. i won't cause actual pain to them, but i'll threaten if it means they won't touch me or breathe near me.

anyway, this really made me laugh. :) thanks. miss you my friend!