Friday, August 21, 2009

What money can not buy in Kolkata....

In most places in the world, it seems that if you have a little money, you can enter most doors and find the help you need. I find this to be especially true in kolkata, the support we have received from our many friends and the profits from Sari Bari have allowed us to serve with generosity and regularity the needs of our friends here in the red light areas and at Sari Bari.

There is however, one stopping point. One barrier that money does not reconcile and that is in the area of the treatment of HIV. There is only one hospital in all of kolkata that will admit patients with HIV/AIDS and that is the government hospital. Where doctors are overun with patients and students seems to do most of the work. Our friend Ranjana is there in the end stages of her life not being offered the best comfort and care but barely receiving the minimum and there is nothing we can do about it. She is in pain, crying out and her IV is dripping most of its contents on the floor and the woman we hired to care for her likes to disappear and be rude (yes we tried to fire her and get a new woman but the hospital controls who we can hire and fire) I can barely contain my frustration and anger and hurt at the conditions that we are forced to offer our friend who needs so much more, who we want to give so much more.

Ranjana called me yesterday, sobbing, in writhing pain telling me she wanted me to take her away from that place. But I am powerless, there is no other place to take her. When we hung up, I sobbed at her suffering, in frustration at the my powerless to help my friend.

I tried. We tried to get her admitted to a private hositpal where the care would be more consitant and compassionate but there is not one private hospital that will accept someone with HIV. When i called Apollo Hospital, a reputable and good health care insitution, the call went something like this: Hi, I need to admit a patient with HIV. Transfer, transfer. Hello can i help you (operator again). Transfer. transfer. Hang up. I call again. Yes, sir i just called a minute ago and i would like to talk to someone about admitting a patient in the end stages of life who has AIDS. Yes, let me transfer you. Transfer. transfer. (emergency room) Hello, I need to admit someone with HIV, can you tell me the process, indiscernable babble--do you speak english or bengali? indiscernable babble. transfer. transfer. hangup. Upendra used his contacts through a doctor friend who used his contacts to contact every major hospital and private care facililty...no one with take someone with HIV/AIDS.

I am to the point of lament, to the point to crying out for mercy, for someone, anyone to use basic medical precautions and offer humane and compassionate care to those with HIV AIDS. I told Beth yesterday that I can not watch another one of our friends be put in a situation like this again. And it will happen again, another friend and sister will need medical care for HIV and the government hospital will be the only place to go. Cockroaches and poor response to patient needs will be all we can offer. I feel powerless. I am powerless.

I am in pleading posture, saying to anyone who listen, Bill and Melinda Gates give your money to hospitals who will offer good care and good facilities to those with HIV. Stop giving money to the sex workers unions who keep sex workers uninformed of their HIV status while allowing them to continue to work in the trade. Mission of Mercy hospital be merciful and care for the poor whom you profess to serve.

"Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will." Martin Luther King Jr.

3 comments:

Daphne said...

my friend. i lament with you and pray your courageous, knowing prayer for Ranjana and others like her with you today. thank you for having the relationships that money can't buy, so that we can walk alongside you. so much love to you

Ann De Rooy said...

My heart breaks to read this post. I am incredulous to realize that these practices occur in this century. My prayer is for you and your friends and co-workers and for the Snaders that you can be the hands, feet, and heart of Christ in this wicked and perverse generation. I know so little that I can't even know where to begin except to cry out to God to provide people who can help. People like you and those who learned from Mother Theresa, people with medical knowledge who can open a clinic/hospital which breaks the stereotypical barriers in your area. God help us!

Cherie Koopman said...

I am reminded again that when we are powerless, HE is still powerful, and will do above and beyond all that we could ask or even think! I'm praying for you today, that God our Father will use you to be an encouragement to your dear friend, Ranjana, and also that He will fill your cup continually as it overflows to bless others. He is the only source of everything you need!