Thursday, December 14, 2006

americans are tacky too

yep..after a couple of weeks back in the country i know that the holidays bring out the tacky in everyone! there are crazy lights, blow up snow men, santa and his reindeer alongside the baby j and his mom. i always thought maybe india had the market cornered on tacky for their holidays--they too have lots of lights and gaudy decorations, over the top fireworks. i think from now i will just think of puja like christmas except the US is much quiet at least at christmas--in india they bring out their private fireworks arsenals and the baddest most offbeat drumming bands they can find.

i think am comforted by the tacky...maybe it signifies what it means to celebrate in all cultures. the time of celebration is good. but as my sister keeps reminding my 2.5 year old neice, christmas is jesus birthday. and as my neice has reminded my sister that means CAKE and a celebration of the hope of transformation for us all.

parting thought, if you have google mail and my email address can you send me an invitation. i am in spam torment and need to make a change.

No comments: