Tuesday, May 02, 2006

looking back a little

I have been at an amazing conference for Christians who are working with women who prostitute around the world. And truly, mostly I have found myself encouraged but after 5 days I am really ready not to talk about it anymore...not to live it in for just day. I feel very selfish saying this and it is selfish since the women I love and care about deeply in Kolkata never get a break.

I said in my last blog entry that I had a really good day at the gach on Thursday before I left Calcutta...it was good because it was painful and I was moved in particular for one woman. Her name is rupa and I actually met her years ago when I first lived in Calcutta. She was one of my first friends in sonagacchi. She used to great me with a sweet smile but since my return she has seemed broken and so sad. She is defeated and evasive on many, many days but my hope has been that I have not seen her really harden. I feel a little caught because I know that hard shell is all some of my friends have for protection and I want them to be protected. On that Thursday I asked rupa when she going to leave and let us get her a job. She said she could never leave. I told that I did not believe that….I told that I knew she would leave…I asked her if she had an owner anymore and she said no…this is amazing an answer to prayer really because she has always been under someone. I felt the need to keep encouraging her…I told her I believed in her and I believed in her freedom and that her life was so valuable. She started to cry…as did I…I am holding out HOPE to and for rupa…she needs it and even if she can not hope for herself…I can hope for her. I looking forward to getting back to Kolkata and seeing her again and see her walk out of the gach to the freedom that awaits her.

No comments: